Liverpool Transfer Update: Andoni Iraola Admits Squad Depth Problem Before Deadline
Liverpool are still short, and Andoni Iraola is not pretending otherwise. Ahead of the new Premier League season, the Liverpool head coach has given a clear assessment of where his squad stands, and the message is simple enough, wide areas need work, and there may be room for more additions elsewhere if the market offers the right solution.
That is the reality as Liverpool push towards the September 1 transfer deadline. They want more attacking depth, and the biggest concern sits out wide. With Mohamed Salah gone and Curtis Jones seemingly on his way out, the need for another forward is obvious. PSG winger Bradley Barcola is understood to be the leading target, while Yankuba Minteh has also been mentioned as Liverpool explore options.
Iraola, predictably, refused to get dragged into names. “We cannot speak about players who are not ours.” That is standard practice, but his wider squad assessment was more revealing.
Liverpool squad depth remains thin
There is no mystery here. Iraola has said all summer that the group needs more depth, and with the opening weekend now here, that problem has not gone away. He said: “Some situations are clear, on the wing, we need specific players for that.
“In other positions, we have to be open-minded to situations that can improve our team. It is about improving the squad and we have good players here.”
That is a fair reading of the squad. Liverpool have quality in key positions, but quality alone is not enough across a full Premier League campaign. Numbers matter. Variety matters. Reliable options off the bench matter. Right now, Liverpool are still light.
Transfer deadline will shape Iraola plans
Iraola has also been realistic about the timing of recruitment. Managers always want business done early, coaches always prefer settled groups, and clubs rarely get a perfect market. He put it plainly: “As a manager, you want the players from the first day, but you have to understand how it works and we have to adapt as coaches.”
There is no self-pity in that. Just a practical acceptance that some deals move late. He previously made the same point when discussing Liverpool’s summer business, saying: “We will definitely sign some players.” He added: “Some deals you have to wait until the end. But the end is the important picture, the one we will have on September 1, because it is true that we are still quite thin.”

So far, Liverpool have brought in Victor Munoz to strengthen the attack, Ronald Araujo on loan from Barcelona, and Jeremy Jacquet after agreeing that deal in January. Useful business, but not enough to fully solve the squad balance issue.
Newcastle focus comes first for Liverpool
For all the transfer noise, Iraola has been consistent on one point. His immediate concern is Newcastle. “I don’t spend too much time thinking about these things. I am focused on the game against Newcastle. That is massive for me.”
That is exactly where his focus should be. Liverpool still need players, that much is clear. They also need points, and the season starts now. Iraola’s final mood was positive enough: “I feel excited. I feel it in the atmosphere with the players that this week has been different to the friendlies. So I am looking forward to Sunday, to feel the pressure and the competition.”
Excitement is fine. Depth is better. Liverpool still need more of it before the deadline closes.


