Liverpool’s Transfer Carousel: The 69 Midfielders Linked This Summer
There’s no denying the bustling transfer activities that are often linked with Liverpool, especially when it comes to filling the void in their midfield. 2023 has been no different. The rumours have ran wild, with potential targets scattered across leagues and continents. Drawing from a list compiled by TeamTalk, let’s delve into the midfielders that have been rumoured to be on Jurgen Klopp’s radar since the end of the 2022 summer transfer window.
Brace yourselves, the list goes from the sublime to the ridiculous and highlights just how mind-blowing the media can be doing silly season.
Premier League Prowess
- Alexis Mac Allister: Signed, sealed, delivered – he’s ours!
- Moises Caicedo: Looks like Chelsea for this Brighton gem, as per talkSPORT.
- Romeo Lavia: A tug of war between Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea for this £50m-valued teenager.
- Cheick Doucoure: The Atheltic hinted at Liverpool’s interest last week.
- Kalvin Phillips: Is Manchester City’s benched star wanted by the Reds?
- Boubacar Kamara: Injury plagued season at Villa, shining bright on Liverpool’s radar?
- Matheus Nunes: Past interest but heard little about Wolves man this summer.
- Joao Palhinha: £80m-valued Fulham star, injured last night.
- Jacob Ramsey: Klopp reportedly admires this young Villa talent.
- Conor Gallagher: Quiet latest on this Chelsea and England man.
- Rodrigo Bentancur: Impressive at Spurs, Liverpool said to be keeping tabs.
- Bruno Guimaraes: Negotiations rumoured in June but Newcastle clearly want to keep him.
- Declan Rice: Liverpool’s linked but Arsenal went big and eventually sealed the deal.
- Mason Mount: Hotly tipped since the end of last season but opted for Manchester United.
- Ruben Neves: Admired by the Reds but now playing in Saudi Arabia.
- N’Golo Kante: Another who ventured to Saudi post-Chelsea.
- Youri Tielemans: Liverpool showed an interest but he’s off to Villa.
- James Maddison: Spurs won the race against Newcastle, LFC links always seemed like clickbait.
- Ethan Nwaneri: Arsenal’s promising young talent stayed put.
- Sander Berge: Sheffield United’s best player regularly linked.
- George Hall: An emerging Birmingham talent is being scouted.
- Alex Scott: This Bristol City young star piqued interest.
- Hayden Hackney: Liverpool keeping an eye post his Middlesbrough brilliance.
La Liga Links
- Aurelien Tchouameni: Past rejections might not deter another bid if he becomes available.
- Federico Valverde: Interest in Real Madrid’s playmaker but seems like agent talk.
- Frenkie de Jong: Tug of war with Manchester United for this Barça star if you believe some reports.
- Mikel Merino: Sociedad’s gem lands on Klopp’s wish list.
- Marcos Llorente: Spanish duel as Liverpool and Manchester United apparently lock horns.
- Guido Rodriquez: Impressive Real Betis talent draws Reds’ interest.
- Gabri Veiga: Liverpool reportedly lead the chase for this €40m Celta Vigo sensation, very quiet lately.
- Yunus Musah: Liverpool made contact according to some reports.
- Rodrigo De Paul: World Cup winner from Atletico Madrid on the Reds’ radar?
Serie A Selections
- Teun Koopmeiners: Liverpool enquired about Atalanta star.
- Sofyan Amrabat: World Cup star viewed as a potential Fabinho replacement.
- Nicolo Barella: Liverpool scouts keeping tabs on Inter Milan’s gem.
- Piotr Zielinski: Past interest might be revived for Napoli’s midfield maestro.
- Eljif Elmas: Klopp directly reached out to this Napoli player?
- Stanislav Lobotka: Napoli’s other star also on the radar.
- Adrien Rabiot: Renewed with Juventus.
- Weston McKennie: Short-lived interest pre-Leeds loan spell.
- Sergej Milinkovic-Savic: A missed Premier League opportunity, now in Saudi.
- Marcelo Brozovic: Failed swap deal with Inter Milan?
- Ismael Bennacer: Renewed with AC Milan, thus off the table.
- Ryan Gravenberch: Ambitions to get Bayern star, seeks more game time in Germany.
- Jude Bellingham: Liverpool’s top target but lost to Real Madrid.
- Dominik Szoboszlai: Signed, BOOM!
- Leon Goretzka: FootballTransfers claim he’s still on Liverpool’s wish list.
- Joshua Kimmich: Potential reunion with Thiago if Bayern sanction deal?
- Kouadio Kone: Fabrizio Romano claims Liverpool are following the Borussia Monchengladbach man.
- Florian Neuhaus: 90min reported Reds’ interest.
- Jesper Lindstrom – Florian Plettenberg reported that Liverpool and Arsenal had an interest in the Denmark international.
- Anton Stach: 90min report Reds’ interest for Stach, whose contract at Mainz expires in 2024.
- Konrad Laimer: Heavily linksedsince January but he’s off to Bayern Munich on a free transfer.
Ligue 1 Lustre
- Marco Verratti: PSG’s dynamo interests Liverpool and Atletico, really?
- Baleba: 90min reported interest in young Lille star.
- Youssouf Fofana: Daily Mail linked the Reds with £21.9million move.
- Khephren Thuram: Liverpool’s solution for the ‘perfect’ midfielder? Close to done at one point.
- Renato Sanches: Football Insider reported interest in PSG man.
- Seko Fofana: Lens man has since switched to Saudi Arabian side Al Nassr.
- Luka Sucic: Red Bull Salzburg’s young star makes the list.
- Enzo Fernandez: Interests redirected when he landed at Chelsea.
- Florentino Luis: Liverpool chased but Benfica not budging.
- Mohammed Kudus: TeamTalk suggested Liverpool had interest in Ajax man.
- Alan Varela: Liverpool apparently heavily scouted the Boca Juniors player.
- Ibrahim Sangare: PSV’s gem is hot on the radar.
- Alberto Moleiro: Las Palmas’ talent watched closely.
- Joao Gomes: Flamengo’s midfield marvel interests Klopp.
- Manuel Ugarte: All action midfielder who opted for PSG over Chelsea.
- Orkun Kökçü: Feyenoord’s prodigy was once on Klopp’s wishlist.
Wrapping It Up
While some are clear targets, others might merely be speculative links. Yet, it’s a testament to Liverpool’s ambition in maintaining their place at the pinnacle of European football. As the summer unfolds, the Anfield faithful wait with bated breath to see who Klopp brings into the fold.